- 1/2 jar flavorful salsa (we used golden Habanero Happiness from our canning section)
- 1 cup sour cream
Mix salsa together with sour cream, store in fridge until ready to toss with cabbage. You really want to go with a flavor packed salsa, or your dressing will not taste as good! Doesn't have to be HOT, just bursting with FLAVOR!
- 1/2 green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 red cabbage, shredded
Mix both cabbages together well, in a gigantic bowl. Toss cabbage mixture with Salsa Dressing, coating thoroughly and set aside. This will be the bottom layer of your Turkey Tomatillo Taco Salad.
Bean Layer - Black or Pinto
- 1 can black or pinto beans or 2 cups homemade
Gently warm beans up, set aside.
- 2 cups cooked turkey chunks (could use chicken or beef)
- 1-3 tomatillos, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1-3 jalapenos or cayenne peppers (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons Blackened Seasoning (on the website)
A cast iron skillet is ideal for sauteing this flavorful turkey mix up, so be sure and use it if you have one. If not, any regular, flat bottomed skillet will do. Start with a drizzle of EVOO in the bottom of the pan, not too much. Saute the onion until translucent. Add shredded turkey and cook, seasoning to taste with Blackened Seasoning. We love to actually "brown" the turkey - giving it a crispy texture, almost like carnitas. You can do this by frying cooked turkey in a dry skillet, again, going for a slightly crispy texture. If simply warming suits your family better, do that!
Fun Toppings - all optional!
- sliced, pickled jalapenos
- sour cream
- grated cheese
- corn chips
- Homemade Blackened Corn Chips (recipe below)
Homemade Blackened Corn Chips
Preheat oven to 350. Place 5 corn tortillas on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with Blackened Seasoning and back until crisp, usually 15-20 minutes. Break apart into pieces of splinter with a knife. Super flavorful and delicious!
Assembling Turkey Tomatillo Taco Salad
On a salad or dinner plate, divide the cabbage mix on all plates. Top with beans, turkey mix and whatever fun toppings you want. Sprinkle Homemade Blackened Corn Chips on top and serve immediately!